When the sun comes out, we naturally want to be outside with our dogs. But it’s very important to remember that dogs cannot sweat to cool like we do, they only sweat through their paws and that alone does not cool them down very fast. Their lack of ability to cool leaves the dogs highly susceptible to heat stroke. This vulnerability in hot weather is exactly why we believe the Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Vest is a necessary piece of canine equipment for every active dog.
Features of the Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Dog Jacket
- Light fabric reflects heat away from the dog
- Air mesh outer absorbs more water and holds it for longer
- Inner layer transfers cooling effect directly to the dog
- Stores water in a specially designed middle layer to maintain consistent cooling
- Reflective trims and light loop for attaching The Beacon
- Easy fitting and removing with side release buckles
- Designed to be easy-wearing and fit perfectly on even the most active dog
By dipping the swamp cooling vest in cool water (not too cold), or pouring over water from your water bottle, then ringing it out and securing it to your dog, you will help them keep cool throughout your hikes and walks. Designed to utilise evaporative cooling, the Swamp Cooler Vest will keep your dog comfortable with its relaxed fit, and work against overheating on the areas they need it most - covering their back, belly, and chest.
Made from fabrics that are rated UPF 50+, meaning they block 98% of the sun’s rays, and the light-coloured mesh material reflects heat too. Whilst the evaporating cooling technology pulls the heat away from the dog and out of the jacket.
The three layer construction cools the core.
- The wicking outer layer reflects heat and facilitates evaporation
- The absorbent middle layer stores water for evaporation
- The mesh lining keeps your dog dry and comfortable
An integrated lead portal on the back allows you to attach your dog’s leash easily to a harness underneath the cooling coat. The vest coverage is lightweight and comfortable for your dog to wear no matter what activities they’re up to, and you can easily secure and remove the coat using the side release buckles. Perfect for low light visibility with it’s reflective trim and the handy light loop for attaching The Beacon Light.
The Swamp Cooler Vest is the highest coverage product in the range, using this innovative cooling system which performs better than wet towels and is far better for our dogs than complete water immersion. An overheating dog immersed in water can suffer from sudden shock which could result in an emergency trip to the vets. Check out our blog post on heat stroke, if you do think your dog is overheating or has heatstroke, please seek help from your vet before it gets worse. Always plan your journeys, especially in the summer when it might become warmer throughout the day, it’s always a great idea to come with plenty of water and the Swamp Cooler Vest ready to use in your backpack.
Read more about this topic on our blog - Do dog cooling products actually work?
- Secure buckles
- Wash in cold water on a gentle cycle with mild detergent
- Hand to dry
- Do not bleach, iron, tumble or dry clean
If your dog is in between sizes, take the bigger Ruffwear Swamp Cooler for more coverage.